by Jason McCoy

Updated May 2020

In this episode of the Voice Acting 101 Podcast, you'll learn:

• Why voice-over has become so popular
  • Misleading voice-over myths
  • How to stand out and see voice-over success in a crowded market

Links & Resources from this episode

How to Become a
Voice-Over Actor

A FREE 5-STEP GUIDE TO GET STARTED IN VOICE-OVER

• PRAMATHI SISTLA says:

Thanks Jason. That’s good info. It’s morale booster for me to go ahead with my decision to work in this area.

• Mashkhura says:

Actually, by listening to this podcast i have known what my mind is exactly thinking about how to succeed in this industry and it is dedication cause luck does not come itself. Thanks much it is very helpful for me.

• I think your assessment is spot on, Jason. Numbers thrown around can sometimes be very deceiving.

• Very interesting and informative. I have thought of voice-over for a long time. I am an actor/singer and would like to do voice-over, but not sure exactly what the first step I should take. Where is the best place to look for an agent? I have seen some that are rip-offs and want to charge a lot to even talk to an agent! (I had an agent many years ago and he got paid only when I got work…didn’t cost me!)

• Thanks for this Jason! Your insights were encouraging and impacting reminders for new VO artists. I have gone through coaching and masterclasses. I signed on a few months ago to ACX and have done a few auditions but have not gotten any work yet. I got discouraged for a second but then went back to the basics…I’ve set monthly goals; I’ve scheduled days in my week when I will audition I have given myself monthly challenges for my VO work.

From this podcast, you’ve given me insight into further defining my voice in a well-saturated market.

• Jason, great response to the question re VO biz over saturation. Your response insightful and encouraging. My philosophy is “nothing ventured, nothing gained.” I’m a newbie but willing to put in the work, study, practice, network, learn the VO business, tap the ton of resources available, such as the many you provide for VO talents and the many other free as well as helpful paid resources available.

• Exactly – you have to show up and put the effort in to make progress in anything.

• I appreciate your brevity and thoughtful responses to questions that are useful to new VO artists.

• Eve Everitt Hickey says:

I have Voice Over Experience and wamtvto get back into the industry. How may I begin?

• I like that interest was clarified versus folks willing to flex their creativity and treat voice-over as a business. The business part of voice-over isn’t emphasized in the advertisements encouraging people to sign up for the training needed in this profession.

• Jason:

I enjoy your practical and no nonsense advice. Every business has lots of competition. You need a plan, talent and lots of practice to carve out your niche in this business.

• Thanks Michael. I think many forget about having a plan and think it’s luck or being discovered.

• Good info, Jason. You brought up some interesting points that I totally agree with! I have noticed that when I mention I am a voice actor, someone will inevitably say “Oh, I have a friend/son/student…[etc.] who is interested in doing that”. I would love to be able to take a survey to see how many people who are “interested” actually try it!

• Good podcast Jason and very true. I find a lot of people think they have a great voice but once they see how hard it is and then get discouraged by doing 100 auditions only to get one job….they soon drop off. The secret is to stick with it and dont give up. Keep learning and adapting from failures…..

• Thanks Steve. Exactly. Many people think voice-over success = nice voice + someone who knows a good voice when they hear it (agent). Once they realize it doesn’t work that way and that it takes effort, they look for an easier way.

• Thank you for addressing this topic! It’s easy to become intimidated when you are just starting out. I am a year and a half into this, working very part time. I am just now at a place to push forward and grow my business substantially. If you want to succeed, I can’t recommend enough to INVEST in this endeavor. Not only in learning the business side & the equipment, but also with your time, in the right mindset, in how to perform and in how to master audio.There is no easy button in VO. Keep heart, I hear it said repeatedly, that the market is growing and there is enough work for all of us!

• Great points Teresa! No matter what business you’re in, it’s good to know each part of it inside and out.

• Nothing comes easy, you have to do the work. In VO, that means getting the training ($$), buying the proper equipment and having a proper work space ($$) and having a professional, marketable demo ($$$).

• Right – if it were easy, everyone would do it. It comes down to working harder than the majority.

• Thanks Jason! Just getting started in my training and getting my home studio up and running! So this subject matter was very reassuring to listen to! Like anything in life, if you’re gonna do it, DO IT!!

• Exactly! Accomplishing anything can be broken down into small steps. Each step completed helps fuel your desire to keep going.